Thursday 27 December 2012

The Christmas Quiet

I have truly enjoyed this Christmas season, the family and activities, Christmas and particularly this week between Christmas and New Years, but resting in the peace that God brings to us at this time of year isn't always easy. 

Just two weeks ago upon hearing that twenty six precious lives had been stolen by an evil that one can barely digest, let alone comprehend - I found myself feeling fears again. As for most people, the news of this shooting struck my core. My own classroom is a place where I tell my students that they are safe, and secure - mostly from internal disturbances like bullying or other negative influences, as conjuring a scenario where lives were at stake was unthinkable.  I still don't know what to say, nor do I know the answers, but asked God over and over, "what good can come of this?".  I'm still not sure that I even know the answer to that, as the anguish is so harsh, and so real. But, these events have forced me to pause, slow down, consider more carefully how I answer my children when they are demanding my attention, how I treat others - not being too proud to apologize when I do things wrong, allowing a little extra time for cuddles and love, looking beyond what I want all the time to focus on being thankful for what I have and appreciating each moment for what it is instead of focusing on some future promise down the road.  

I heard someone say recently, "If God gave you children, he'll give you the wisdom that you need to raise them." It makes sense, but in the midst of the chaos it's easy to think that you've already missed the mark, and that some things aren't easily corrected. But, know that it's never too late to say, I'm sorry, to give a hug, to sit and play, and enjoy each moment.

Blessings to you in 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

all the sins we see

He raped me. My friend, sweet and gentle, said it straight out like she was talking about the movie we'd seen not too long ago toget...