Saturday 9 February 2013

Epilogue

I don't really know how to write an Epilogue. I've never written one before.  I certainly haven't read one in which the author's voice was so prevalent, but this is the way it is in my mind.  I've spent so much time with the characters, getting to know them and telling their story, there's a sense that I would know everything about them, in some kind of contrived future.  But, I don't really see it that way.  What happens to them...merely happens.  I can't change it, just as much as I can't reach back in time and alter the course of history.

I guess it's a good thing my subconscious likes happy endings.

Nicolai and Atlantis married not long after their reunion in the gardens of Malbrandor Palace.  It was a beautiful wedding, attended by dignitaries from all over the galaxy.  Much to the delight of both Atlantis' council and her people, she became pregnant within the year and had twin boys followed several years later by a baby girl, and in a surprise few expected a year or so later, another boy. As far as the ascension of their sons to the throne of Khal Manar, it was the younger of the twins who eventually took his Mother's place as Emperor - but that is another story. Atlantis and Nicolai lived out their lives happily together, most often at the palace, but every so often the royal couple would go missing for a few days and be lost together amongst the stars.

Marria stayed faithfully by Atlantis' side for many years. She and Drey had their own children, two daughters, one who would eventually belong to the Royal Family of Khal Manar, and the other who aspired to become a master at her Father's craft.

Dawniria never returned to full time work at the Palace.  She advised Atlantis for many years, and was often seen in Khal Manar, or in audience with the Empress, but she made her home in the countryside.  She brought Kale's baby, a daughter, healthy and strong into the world, and Dawniria was devoted to her.  Every year, a very wealthy man visited the small country estate, and would spend his time doting on the little girl - who loved him. Several years later, Dawniria and Galen married.

I wish I knew more about Kale Farharad, but other than his secret visits, he wasn't much thought of in Khal Manar. I imagine that he married, he was intent on loving someone, after all.  If I know him, deep down, he probably would have chosen a girl from his court.  Not even necessarily one of high rank or standing, because deep down Kale Farharad wanted to live a quiet, happy life. It's a hope that change would stop him from drinking so much - then he really could be happy. I just don't know how long it would have taken him to realize it himself.

And that is all I know, of quiet lives and happy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

all the sins we see

He raped me. My friend, sweet and gentle, said it straight out like she was talking about the movie we'd seen not too long ago toget...