Wednesday 10 September 2014

Adventures in Cooking: Indian Spiced Roasted Chicken

Ok, so I'm not a food blogger. I'm just someone who likes to blog (Is that a verb?). Anyway, there are times I find myself befuddled, with absolutely nothing profound to say, and yet, I have an insatiable desire to BLOG - about something, anything.  It seems that lately my life has been overwhelmed by being MOM, and so the only real thoughts I have about daily life are often wrapped up in mundane questions, like - when did the baby eat last? what time does the bus come? what on earth would make THAT stain? and most often -  what are we eating for dinner?

A snapshot of my daily life.


In answer to the last, pinterest has been a literal wealth of ideas and I am drawn to simple, unique recipes that my family might enjoy. Left up to my own dinner ideas, we would probably be eating a weekly rotating cycle of stirfrys, tacos, and pasta, so here's to something new. Since I like to use pinterest as more than just a place to organize pictures, I thought why not share some of these successes and failures? At least it gives me something to write about. 

My recipe is slightly different than the one in the link below, but I will detail what I used.


Adapted From: Indian Spiced Roasted Chicken (Originally found on simply-delcious-food.com) 

Serves 6 - 8
Cooking Time: 2 Hours

2 Whole Chickens
3 Tbsp Red Curry Paste
2 Cups Plain Yogurt
6 Tbsp Garam Masala
4 Tsp Salt
2-3 Tbsp Lime Juice

1. Preheat oven to 350'
2. In a bowl combine yogurt, curry paste, spices and lime juice.
3. Rub mixture over chicken, put extra marinade into cavity of chicken.
4. Place in oven at 350' for 45mins, increase heat to 425' cook for around an 1 hr 15mins, check regularly on chickens to be sure the spices aren't burning.
The sauce was messy but delicious!


*Refer to original recipe for more detailed instructions. 

As I mixed my chicken marinade, I found that the red curry paste was quite spicy, you may want to reduce the amount in your own version.   I paired this chicken with another Pinterest recipe called Kung Pao Cauliflower. I will detail that recipe another time - but it is the first time I have seen my kids literally GOBBLE down cauliflower and ask for more.

So, how did all of this spicy chicken go over with the kids, you may ask....

Surprisingly well. M told me he liked dinner so much he felt like he should thank me twice for it, and O ate without the usual amount of coercion.  S had formula, and she thought it was top notch. For myself, I thought the chicken had fabulous flavor, I think that it might be a recipe to try on something like wings in the future. I think the only other change I would make is to use a yogurt that's less thick, or thin it out with something so that it wasn't so much of a paste on the chicken - it will be about finding the balance between something that will stick to the chicken, but not cake itself on. I also found that where the recipe recommends a change in cooking temperature, the sauce on the top of the chicken burned far too quickly, and so I reduced heat and kept it at 350'.

Beautifully roasted, the meat was delicious and juicy!

And there you have it, my first attempt at celebrating my epicurious side.

To Eat and Enjoy. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I'm so bad at dinner and menu planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! It is literally one of the longest chores I have every week.

      Delete

all the sins we see

He raped me. My friend, sweet and gentle, said it straight out like she was talking about the movie we'd seen not too long ago toget...